You Don’t Say! Parent Involvement Expectations, Communication and FERPA Requirements in Postsecondary Education Programs for Students with Intellectual Disabilities
Participants will take a fresh look at family engagement in postsecondary education programs from a parent perspective. Parents and program staff will explore strategies for effective family engagement practices in light of Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) requirements, self-determination, and evidence on the importance of continuing parental involvement and support for young adults with ID/DD.
Participants attending this webinar will be able to:
1. Understand the current landscape of parent involvement at the college level
2. Clarify parent and student roles and responsibilities
3. Identify effective communication practices
4. Discover strategies to promote and support self-determination and informed decision-making
5. Increase awareness of the potential impact of legal guardianship and FERPA requirements for families and programs