2405 E College Way
Mount Vernon, WA 98273
A comprehensive Post-Secondary Transition Program for individuals with intellectual disabilities.
Individualized: Each certificate will be adjusted to fit the student’s goals and career choice.
Next step: This next step in education will increase independence, self-determination and competency in: Self-advocacy; Setting and communicating long and short-term goals; Identifying and developing transferable and marketable occupational and job attainment skills;
Vocational Education: Students will take technical classes related to their career choices.
Social skills Training: Students will be involved on campus, in the classroom and in the community to help build these skills.
Students with documented intellectual disabilities are eligible for referral to the INVEST program if they meet the following criteria:
• At least 18 years of age and under 21 years of age
• Have not met High School Graduation Requirements
• Student’s IEP notes a need for Transition Services beyond High School to support post-secondary outcomes.
• Ability to attend to personal care needs
• Ability to safely and independently navigate the college campus after initial orientation and training.
CAMPUS, CLASSROOM, & COMMUNITY
Through campus, classroom, and vocational training, students will have increased self-advocacy, independence, and competence in:
• Setting and communicating needs, wants, and long and short-term goals;
• Identifying and developing transferable and marketable occupational and job attainment skills;
• Community responsibility and membership through activities which foster and support engagement, sustainability, and social reciprocity
• Critical thinking skills including self-reflection of learning and information gathering and analysis; and
• Collaborating effectively with others, demonstrating respect for diversity and global perspectives, and recognizing and responding to varying levels of interpersonal relationships.
|Public or private:||Public|
|Type of school:||2-year community college or junior college|
|Is this program a federally funded TPSID program?||No|
|Students in this program:||
|Number of students:||15|
|Deadline to apply to this program:||none|
|Link to admissions process:||Admissions link|
|Requirements for admission to this program:||
|Accepts out-of-state students:||No|
|Please indicate which disabilities students in this program have:||
|Program length:||2 years|
|Acceptance, Retention, and Completion Rates|
|Percent of students applying who are admitted:||100%|
|Cost of the program:||School Districts pay for transition students 18-21. Graduated students pay $1400-$2000 a quarter for tuition, books and supplies.|
|Is this program able to provide federal financial aid as a Comprehensive Transition Program (CTP)?||Pending (we have applied to become a CTP but have not yet been approved)|
|Students pay for the program in the following ways:||
|Students take these types of "typical" courses (with students who don't have disabilities):||
|More about course access:||
Students may receive the college credit or the INVEST credit it the curriculum is altered.
|Students take courses that are only for students in this program:||Yes|
|Information on special classes:||
|Classroom/academic time spent only with other students in this program:||Between 25% of the time and half the time|
|Credential(s) students earn upon completing the program:||INVEST 1 year or 2 year Employability Certificate|
|The credential(s) is/are:||
|Percent of students in this program have paid work while attending the program:||20%|
|Other career development activities are:||
|Percent of students in this program that had paid work after exiting the program:||90%|
|Housing is provided to students:||No|
|Students participate in student organizations on campus:||Yes|
|Proportion of time spent only with other students in this program:||Between 25% and half the of the time|
|Students have participated in these social/extracurricular activities and organizations:||
Clubs on campus that current students are active: Campus Christian Fellowship, Veterans Club, Women's Club, Photography Club, Writing Club and Chef's Club