Paying for College

One of the greatest challenges for college attendance is how to pay for it, and this can be particularly true for students with intellectual disability. But there are several avenues to explore for funding the cost of a college program. Students may be able to use vocational rehabilitation funds, scholarships, or federal financial aid. They may also take advantage of PASS plans related to Social Security benefits, among other things.

News & Features

Girl leaning over books at a table in a library
Numerous services that students with intellectual disability require in college may be covered by Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) or 1915(c) waviers. Examples of covered services include educational coaches, career services, tuition and fees, transportation, assistive technology, and more.  ...Read more
 Lindsay Wertenberger from Federal Student Aid at the U.S. Department of Education explains the process for applying to become a CTP program in the webinar recorded in January 2020. ...Read more

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the general costs associated with attending a postsecondary program? For example, the cost of tuition, books, room & board, and general fees?

Costs of attendance at college programs for students with intellectual disability vary considerably. Costs for college-based transition services (sometimes referred to as dual enrollment), where students are still in high school while attending college, are typically covered by the school district. In programs for adults who have left high school, it is typical to see costs that are the same as for other students as far as tuition and fees, books, and room and board. There may also be an additional cost for additional support services.

My son/daughter gets funding for disability supports from multiple sources. Which of these funding streams can be used to help support them in college?

Many students are using funding from vocational rehabilitation (VR) and/or Medicaid to help pay for college. If your son or daughter has these services, it is very worthwhile to discuss how those services and supports can help pay for college attendance. In some states, VR is very supportive of these initiatives, while other states are still determining if they will support college for students with intellectual disability. The same is true of Medicaid funding for developmental disability services. One thing that is true in most states is that Medicaid cannot be used to pay for tuition, but it can be used for other college expenses. The details of that must be discussed with your developmental disabilities agency.

Are there any scholarships available for students with intellectual disability?

There are relatively few college scholarship programs specifically for students with intellectual disability. We provide links to two such programs in our Related Website resources above. College programs may have their own scholarship programs, so ask about those when you are contacting them for information. Also, seek out scholarships that are offered to college-bound students through your town or school, such as Rotary Club. They may have never considered offering a scholarship to students with intellectual disability, but you never know until you ask! One more way that some students are paying for college is through AmeriCorps community service programs. These programs offer students an education award for their service, which can be used to pay for college. Learn more about AmeriCorps and National Service.

Are students attending college programs for students with ID eligible for federal financial aid?

There is a category of programs called Comprehensive Transition Programs, or CTPs. These programs are marked with a dollar sign logo in our College Search. Students with intellectual disability who attend one of these approved programs can apply for aid through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid or FAFSA, and may be determined eligible for Pell Grants, Supplemental Education Grants, or work-study. Income eligibility guidelines will still apply. View a complete list of Comprehensive Transition Programs.

Are students in these non-degree programs eligible for federal student loan or Parent Plus loans?

At this time, students with intellectual disability who are attending non-degree college programs are not eligible for federal student loans.

Does FAFSA count parent income for a youth over 18 who is a dependent or has a legal guardian?

Typically, yes. This is also true for most college students. If a student is claimed as a dependent on the family’s tax return, then it is likely that parent income will be counted. In this area, the rules for considering parent income do not differ from the rules that apply to all college students applying for aid.

What is the average federal financial aid package?

Because students with intellectual disability are only eligible for grant programs, and not loans, the typical financial aid package is likely to be no more than $6345 or so, which is the current limit (2020-2021) for a Pell Grant award. Again, the amount a student is eligible for is determined by financial need, and parent income is typically counted. If a particular program has additional scholarship funds they can award, that amount may rise by $1000 or so.

Is there a financial aid office at the college that can help map out ways to fund college?

The first place to discuss ways to pay for college would be with the staff of the programs you are interested in. Ask them what strategies other students are using to pay for the program: are there scholarships, does VR support any students, are there ways to use Medicaid-funded services to cover some of the costs, how much are families typically paying, and so on. Once you have determined the college your son or daughter will be attending, then that financial aid office may also have some information, so you should be sure to discuss your needs with them.

How do the new ABLE Act accounts available in many states help to pay for college?

Now that many states have passed ABLE Act legislation, families and students are allowed to save for college and other expenses without impacting their benefits. This is a wonderful new way for families to set aside money for college for their sons or daughters with disabilities, just as they might do for their other children.

Are ABLE accounts considered assets for the purpose of determining financial need when completing the FAFSA?

ABLE accounts are not included as investment assets for the parent or the student when completing the FAFSA. You can find this information in writing in the explanatory notes to the FAFSA. For the 2020/2021 FAFSA PDF this is on page 9 in the right‑hand column:

Other questions?