Emerging Advocates Group
Senior Advocacy Specialist at Association of University Centers on Disabilities, or AUCD.
How to Join
Interested in joining the Emerging Advocates Group?
Welcome to the Think College Emerging Advocates Group. The purpose of this group:
This past spring there were a group of students from the TPSID program that came to Washington, DC to advocate for the Higher Ed Act for themselves. They advocated alongside staff and others. This was quite exciting to see, so this group was developed for students with disabilities to talk with others to share ideas and learn tips together about advocacy.
This group is led by and for people with disabilities. Of course, supporters are welcome.
Our meeting schedule is listed below. Click here to join the meeting in Zoom or sign up to join the affinity group to receive full connection details.
Thursday, March 19, 2020 at 2-3pm Eastern
Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 2-3pm Eastern
NOTES FROM PAST MEETINGS
The last meeting of the Emerging Advocates group was held on Tuesday, December 3, 2019. You can watch the recording or access the Power Points here. At this meeting, the following topics were discussed:
- Review of recent elections
- Discussion of important disability-related topics in upcoming elections
- How to contact your representatives
- And, information about Think College Policy Advocates
The last meeting of the Emerging Advocates group was held on Thursday, September 19, 2019. You can watch the recording or access the Power Points here. At this meeting, the following topics were discussed:
- What is advocacy and how to advocate for yourself
- What to advocate for
- Registering to vote
- And, homework: invite a friend to the next meeting, register to vote, practice advocating for yourself.
The first meeting of this group was on Tuesday, April 16, 2019. At this meeting, we did the following:
- Introduced ourselves
- Talked about our experience at the Disabilty Policy Seminar in Washington, DC
- Talked about the difference between state and federal, when talking about laws and advocacy
The recording of the meeting can be accessed here.