Public Policy Affinity Group
Affinity Group Facilitator
How to Join
Fill out this brief online form to join the Public Policy Affinity Group.
The Public Policy Affinity Group is a platform for online discussion related to policy and legislation affecting inclusive higher education at the state and federal levels. It is designed for people that would like to educate their state or federal policymakers about the importance of inclusive higher education and the ways states can and are supporting it.
Whether you are an experienced advocate or just learning, this group could be for you -- conversations will be driven by the needs of the group. The affinity group meets online regularly to discuss and share information on policy and legislation related to inclusive higher education.
- Learn about what is happening in other states related to public policy and legislation affecting inclusive higher education
- Connect with each other to compare issues and brainstorm solutions and build peer-to-peer collaborations
- Share tools, resources and templates
Thursday, February 22 at 1pm Eastern
Link to join the meeting: https://umassboston.zoom.us/j/958983949
TOPIC: The federal Higher Education Opportunity Act is up for reauthorization this year in Washington. Different versions are being considered by the House and Senate. What does that mean for TPSIDs created under the law and others that have inclusive higher education programs for students with intellectual disabilities? What can you do? Who should you be talking to about your programs? What are you hearing in the field about HEOA? Join the Public Policy Affinity Group call on February 22 for the most up -to-date information on where we are and where we think it is going, as well as talking strategies and information with your colleagues from other states. This is an important time for these programs and their students.
Notes from most recent meeting
The second meeting of the Public Policy Affinity Group was held November 30, 2017. Invited guest, Chris Rosa, Interim Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs, City University of New York, spoke on behalf of CUNYs TPSID consortium on how they are moving forward to influence their legislature on behalf of all the programs.
The recording and power point presentation can be found in our resource library.
The first meeting was held on June 8, 2017. At the meeting we:
- Reviewed the purpose of the Public Policy Affinity Group
- Previewed materials being developed for the Project Directors meeting
- Heard from Martha E. Mock, Ph.D. Director, Institute for Innovative Transition at the University of Rochester and Margo Vreeburg Izzo, Ph.D., Program Director, The Ohio State University Nisonger Center about their experiences with public policy related to inclusive higher education in their respective states.
Listen to recording of first meeting: http://aucd.adobeconnect.com/pq7rublcjs3j/
Have Any Other Ideas for the Public Policy Affinity Group?
Email Denise Rozell with your ideas!