What is a TPSID?
Transition and Postsecondary Programs for Students with Intellectual Disability, or TPSID, are model demonstration projects funded by the US Department of Education. Through a Request for Proposals (RFP) process, grants were awarded to institutions of higher education or consortia of institutions of higher education to enable them to create or expand high quality, inclusive model comprehensive transition and postsecondary programs for students with intellectual disabilities. The twenty five current grantees were funded in October 2015 for a five year period, through September 2020.
Of the 270 programs listed in College Search, 48 are currently receiving TPSID funding or are a participating site of a TPSID grantee. Details about each project are available below.
*The first round of TPSID funding was from October 2010 - September 2015. There were a total of 27 grantees at that time who worked with a total of 52 campuses across the United States.
Interactive Google map showing all TPSID grantees.
TPSID projects establish model programs that:
- Serve students with intellectual disabilities
- Provide individual supports and services for the academic and social inclusion of students with intellectual disabilities in academic courses, extracurricular activities, and other aspects of the institution of higher education
- Partner with one or more local educational agencies to support students who are still eligible for special education and related services under IDEA
- Plan for the sustainability of the model program after the end of the grant period; and
- Offer a meaningful credential for students upon the completion of the model program
Students with intellectual disabilities participating in these model programs are provided experiences focusing on academic enrichment; socialization; independent living skills, including self-advocacy skills; and integrated work experiences and career skills that lead to employment. Person-centered planning is used as the foundation in the development of the course of study for each student.
TPSID 2015-2020 Projects At A Glance
- Appalachian State University
- Fresno State
- Highline College
- Jacksonville State University
- Lipscomb University
- Minot State University
- Portland State University
- Rhode Island College
- Spokane Community College
- Georgia State University (consortium lead)
- University of Central Florida (consortium lead)
- Bergen Community College
- The College of New Jersey (partner site)
- Colorado State University
- Syracuse University
- University of Alabama
- University of Hawaii (consortium lead)
- University of Kansas
- University of Memphis
- University of Missouri Kansas City
- University of South Alabama
- Utah State University
- Vanderbilt University
- University of Rochester (consortium)
- Ohio State University (consortium lead)
- Pennsylvania Inclusive Higher Education Consortium